A short documentary of a natural build filmed and produced by Dewi Roberts. It was constructed using the local, plentiful and renewable materials of wood, stone, straw, clay, lime and mud. It is a unique and very beautiful build, constructed by natural builders and educators Hartwyn Ltd, who shared the process with students in a pop-up learning village from June to September 2018. The Hideaway Under the Stars opened as a unique holiday home, finished in March 2019.
The strawbale walls were rendered with clay plaster and all gaps filled using a light clay-straw mix. The outside wall was given an additional coating of limewash to enable greater weather resistance and inside walls were painted using a natural clay paint.
Insulation consisted of straw for the walls, perlite (a volcanic rock) for the roof, and glaypor (recycled car windscreens) for under the floor. The windows and fixed furnishings were bespoke by Hartwyn.
- Finalist The Herald, Scottish Family Business, Environmental, 2021
- Winner VIBES Scottish Environment Business Awards “Good Practice” 2021
- Scotland Winner, Environmental Award from the Federation of Small Businesses 2020
- Winner of “Best Green Holiday Home” by the European Holiday Home Association 2019
- Green Tourism Gold Award 2019